Thanksgiving Weekend Is A Busy Time For Plumbing Emergencies
At Black Mountain Plumbing, we are about to have one of our busiest week’s of the year. In fact, the Thanksgiving plumbing disaster, weekend can be one of the busiest times of the year for emergency calls to plumbers nationwide.
The preparation of a big holiday meal and it’s cleanup can lead to a lot of unwanted waste in the kitchen drain plus a overworked garbage disposal and dishwasher. Also, a house full of holiday guests who require additional washing, showers, hot water usage and toilet flushes put a strain on the your entire household plumbing system.
Hosts may avoid a Thanksgiving plumbing disaster and a visit from their plumber over the holiday weekend.
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down drains. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw in the trash.
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. Poultry skins, celery, fruit & potato peels, for example, cannot be sufficiently broken down.
- Have a good flow of cold water running before, during and after you run your disposal.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don’t wait until it’s full to turn it on.
- If you have larger items, cut them into smaller pieces first and put them in one at a time.
- Keep you disposal clean by running a little dish water and soap.
- For homes hosting weekend guests, it’s a good idea to wait ten minutes between showers so slow drains have time to do their job.
- Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair or facial scrub pads down a toilet. They don’t dissolve and will cause clogs.
- Try to address any plumbing problems before the holiday and before guests arrive. However, in holiday emergencies, don’t hesitate to ask up front about extra holiday service fees.
- Your hot water heater will also be in high demand. Before your guests arrive, turn up your water heater to increase its capacity—but make sure you don’t exceed 120°.
- Make sure that you have a waste basket in every bathroom. That way guests won’t be tempted to flush facial tissues, baby wipes, cotton swabs or other items that don’t belong in your bathroom plumbing.
- If you get a clogged or stopped up toilet reach inside the tank and push the stopper down to the valve seat and then turn off the water valve under and behind the toilet then call the emergency plumbing contractor.