Over time, your plumbing fixtures may start to degrade and need replacement. Replacing old plumbing fixtures with new, modern, water-efficient ones is better for the environment and can save you money on your water bill. When considering upgrading various plumbing fixtures in your home, you should know which fixtures benefit most from replacement.
Plumbing Fixtures Updates
- Install new drains: Installing new drains can do more than make your sinks, showers and bathtubs look new; it can also increase the performance of the drains, which is more hygienic.
- Replace aerators in faucets: Aerators are small grids of metal in your faucet that allow the water to flow in an even stream. Over time, composites and sediment may accumulate and cause your faucets to not flow as freely. You should also check for erosion or rust, as the presence of these indicates you need to replace aerators.
- Purchase an efficient water heater: Older water heaters are inefficient compared to modern models, which save electricity and can provide sustained quality. Installing an energy-efficient water heater can save you money on your electric bill.
- Repair leaking faucets: Leaky faucets can waste hundreds of gallons of water per year, which is a needless expense. Faucet assemblies can have upwards of ten moving parts, so unless you are an expert, it is best to hire a professional or outright replace any leaky faucet.
- Repair leaky pipes: If you have any leaky pipes, you should hire a professional plumber immediately to repair them. Leaky pipes can do more than waste water; they can also cause property damage.
- Upgrade pipe materials: Galvanized steel is an outdated pipe construction material that can erode very quickly over time, diminishing the quality of your water. Modern pipes are copper or PVC and reduce costs and maintenance.
- Purchase an efficient showerhead: Installing a more efficient shower head can save you money on your water bill by restricting or focusing the flow of water. Over the course of the showerhead’s life, doing so can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
- Upgrade to efficient toilets: A water-efficient toilet can save you thousands of gallons of water per year. If you decide to replace your toilet, hire a professional plumber.
Read more about the Top 10 Updates to Make to your Plumbing Fixtures at Enlightenme.com