Thanksgiving Weekend Is A Busy Time For Plumbing Emergencies
At Black Mountain Plumbing, we are about to have one of our busiest weeks of the year. In fact, the Thanksgiving plumbing disaster, the weekend can be one of the busiest times of the year for emergency calls to plumbers nationwide.
The preparation of a big holiday meal and its cleanup can lead to a lot of unwanted waste in the kitchen drain plus overworked garbage disposal and dishwasher. Also, a house full of holiday guests who require additional washing, showers, hot water usage, and toilet flushes puts a strain on your entire household plumbing system.
Hosts may avoid a Thanksgiving plumbing disaster and a visit from their plumber over the holiday weekend.
- Never pour fats or cooking oils down the drain. They solidify in pipes. Instead, wipe grease from pots with paper towels and throw in the trash.
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous, or starchy waste in the garbage disposal. Poultry skins, celery, fruit & potato peels, for example, cannot be sufficiently broken down.
- Have a good flow of cold water running before, during, and after you run your disposal.
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don’t wait until it’s full to turn it on.
- If you have larger items, cut them into smaller pieces first and put them in one at a time.
- Keep your disposal clean by running a little dish of water and soap.
- For homes hosting weekend guests, it’s a good idea to wait ten minutes between showers so slow drains have time to do their job.
- Never flush cotton balls, swabs, hair, or facial scrub pads down a toilet. They don’t dissolve and will cause clogs.
- Try to address any plumbing problems before the holiday and before guests arrive. However, in holiday emergencies, don’t hesitate to ask upfront about extra holiday service fees.
- Your hot water heater will also be in high demand. Before your guests arrive, turn up your water heater to increase its capacity—but make sure you don’t exceed 120°.
- Make sure that you have a waste basket in every bathroom. That way guests won’t be tempted to flush facial tissues, baby wipes, cotton swabs, or other items that don’t belong in your bathroom plumbing.
- If you get a clogged or stopped-up toilet reach inside the tank and push the stopper down to the valve seat and then turn off the water valve under and behind the toilet then call the emergency plumbing contractor to deal with a Thanksgiving plumbing disaster.