When it comes to gas line repairs, hiring a professional is essential. A lot of home improvement projects you can do yourself, but whether it is installing gas pipes or repairing them, the job needs to be done with the utmost skill.
Gas line gasses are highly flammable and potentially deadly, so precautions need to be taken, and the correct procedures followed to ensure the job is completed correctly and safely. If mistakes are made, it could cause gas leaks or compromise the quality of the piping; these could lead to explosions.
What to do in the event of a gas leak
In the case of a gas leak, it is crucial that the gas pipe is repaired. A gas leak can often be confirmed when there is a rotten egg smell. Another indication of a gas leak is if your lawn or shrubbery has changed from green to a more brown color.
It is always recommended to contact a professional in the event of a gas leak, as they can be dangerous. If you think you might have a gas leak then immediately get in touch with a licensed and experienced plumbing contractor. There are also a few other things you can do if you think there is a gas leak in your home:
- Make sure that the your gas stove burners are switched off.
- If a gas leak is suspected, don’t turn on the lights as it could cause a spark, leading to an explosion. Instead, use a flashlight or a mobile phone light.
- Ventilate your home by opening the doors and windows.
- If you have turned off the gas in your home, do not turn it back on. Wait for the professional from the gas company to come and they will do it for you.
- If there are sparks or flames then evacuate your home, make sure to be a safe distance away from your home. Call 911 if you feel you are in danger of an explosion.
Hiring a Professional for Gas Line Repairs
- If a basic leak happens, it could be as simple as replacing the section with a single stretch of pipe. To prevent even minor emergency jobs, it is advisable that the homeowner gets their whole gas line professionally checked and thoroughly inspected once a year. This is to ensure there are no potential areas for leaks or weaknesses that need repairing.
- For larger jobs, there may be other aspects to consider. This could include digging trenches in order to get proper access to gas lines, and making sure all the necessary permits are in order before work begins. A trained professional will be able to provide detailed drawings and plans for the proposed project, which will then be taken to a different party for a second expert opinion.
- Gas line plumbers can be contacted to install the natural gas lines for a broad range of home projects. Since they fit the natural gas lines, they have key knowledge required to fix HVAC systems, stoves, fireplaces, and water heaters. When looking for a professional for gas line repairs, homeowners should consider what type of license they have.
- Make sure the professional has a plumbing license, it signifies a high degree of experience, knowledge, and expert qualifications in regards to the plumbing profession. The individuals that have these licenses must pass a state-administered exam, pay the correct license fee, and carry insurance. These are important aspects to take into consideration when interviewing the potential gas plumbers for the job in question.
The cost of repairing gas lines
When gas pipes need repairing, you will have to pay for the cost of labor and the cost of any materials. The fee will often be determined by how technical the job is. Repairing gas pipes can be a very dangerous job; it requires experience and skill, which can often affect the cost of the job. The cost of a job can also differ depending on your location.
When it comes to the price of the materials, it all depends on what type of pipe material is being used. The cost will vary subject to whether the gas line is for natural gas or for propane and where the pipes are located in your home.
Repairing pipes is a confusing process if you do not have the correct knowledge. It is important then that when you have gas pipes installed, they are done correctly, so gas leak repiping and other repair jobs can be prevented.
Do you hear the hiss of a gas leak, or catch a whiff of a rotten egg smell? It is best to call 9-1-1. If you are not sure, turn off all burners on the stove and open up doors and windows and get out of the house. If you need gas line repairs, call the specialists at Black Mountain Plumbing, Inc at (858) 536-4161.