Spice up your bland bathroom with these bathroom renovation ideas.
A bathroom renovation can be life changing.
Exaggerated as it may sound, the look, feel, and functionality of a bathroom can work wonders for your everyday routine. For many homeowners, it could even spell the difference between heading out the door on time and arriving to work late.
Here are a few tips to get your bathroom fully functional and gorgeous!
- Define what you need: What is the bathroom’s function? Is it a powder room? A spare toilet and bath? Or a high-traffic bath that will need to service all the family members? A full bathroom renovation may need major plumbing such as a shower or bathtub installation.
- Plan it out: This will save you loads of money. Most homeowners make the mistake of buying the first thing they see. They think that swapping an old sink for a new one does the trick. But before making any purchases, make sure that elements fit not just your space but the plumbing as well. Most fixtures are standard-sized. If you find that your bathroom needs to be modified, you will need to plan for this as well.
- If it looks alien to you, don’t install it yourself: Bathroom renovation and remodeling almost always involves plumbing work. Not everyone can play handyman when it comes to electrical and plumbing systems. Hiring the services of an expert may be expensive up front, but the benefits will allow you to save in the long run. Professionals know what to do. You aren’t up for costly DIY mistakes and they would be able to give sound advice.
- Update the vanity area: If the budget is tight, update the bathroom vanity area first! Vanities are the focal point of many bathrooms. If you make this stand out, you immediately revamp the look of your bathroom. Fresh paint, new door knockers and cabinet handles make a huge difference.
- Install new lighting: If you’ve ever wondered why hotel bathrooms look so dreamy and posh, it isn’t just the fixtures (or the fact that you’re paying so much for your stay!). Dramatic effects can be achieved by simply changing the lighting. The trick to this vibe is layering lights. Add makeup lights with decorative sconces or add ceiling lights over the shower or tub. Don’t forget perimeter recessed lighting for that luxurious feel.